September 18, 2009

Write, Write, Write

Oh I feel like writing or making something tonight...which probably means, oh crap, I'm ovulating. This happens one or two times a month, which usually means I write a song, attempt something on my sewing machine, get our my journal and art supplies to make a mess, or get out all my scrapbooking crap.



Anyway, I was just thinking of a recent conversations I had with some of the people I love most in the world, a group of girlfriends I've had for 12-18 years. We were discussing how, growing up in a small town, life is very much about the relationships you have. They, who live in New York City, Kansas City, Dallas, St. Paul & Omaha, contrasted this to their city social lives which they said were much more about what they are doing, where they are going, and what they are wearing. They're all tired of it. We had a great weekend of rekindling our relationships sitting in a house wearing tshirts and sweat pants (we went out once in 5 days) . It was definitely refreshing for all of us. Even though I'm in a different season of life with kids, so I'm not doing a lot of the same things or going to a lot of the same types of places, and certainly not dressing as splendidly as they do, I can understand how they feel.


My perspectives are shifting - I'm believing world culture less and less. I'm starting to form my own solid opinions about families, marriage, cities, jobs, women and men, churches, parents, culture, attitudes, mainstreams, etc. etc. I guess this is called becoming an adult. Realizing that much of what the world tells us in text books, in media, that we say to each other just really really isn't true. It doesn't work. It causes destruction. It leads to despair.

So far I know - Small town life is for me. Close to my family and collective family living I like better than the individual all-about-me attitude of many Americans. I'm excited to work - but I don't need to work to feel fulfilled. I respect and submit to my husband, and I don't feel like less of a person because of it. I love my children, and it's okay that they drive me crazy.

Unfortunately fatigue has overcome my compulsions to write - must be hormones after all...no pithy conclusion. Just growing up I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment